I am an expatriate living in Abu Dhabi and want to bring my 23-year-old son here on a residence visa. Can I get a visa on the basis of owning a property costing more than Dh1 million in Abu Dhabi, and is it possible for me to sponsor my son on a visa of this type? Also, how and where do I apply for a pro­perty-linked residence visa in Abu Dhabi? DM, Abu Dhabi

Investment visas are avail­able for anyone who purchases a complete property outright (no mortgage) worth more than Dh1m.

    Each emirate has differing procedures, so I suggest you contact the Abu Dhabi department of naturalisation, residence and foreign affairs.

    The cost is Dh1,100 plus renewal costs of the visa.

    You will also have to show proof that your earnings are at least Dh10,000 per month.

    You will be able to sponsor your son once you have this visa in place, but please remember that the investment visa is considered a type of visit visa that needs to be renewed and neither you nor your dependent(s) will be allowed to work in the UAE under this visa.

      As an alternative suggestion, if you are currently in employment, it may be easier for you to sponsor your son while holding a residence visa via your employer.

      Mario Volpi is the chief sales officer for Kensington Exclusive Properties and has worked in the property industry for the past 32 years in London and Dubai. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and they do not reflect in any way those of the institutions to which he is affiliated. It does not constitute legal advice and is provided for information only.